Mikkola Seeks New Men to Fill Depleted Track Ranks

By Arne L. Schoeller

"Know anybody about six feet tall, maybe 190-200 pounds, not fleshy you know, but hard, hard like, like maybe don Trimble?" That's track coach Jaakko Mikkola's latest line. He's in quest for material to build up his weight squad, sadly depleted as a result of last June graduation.

The need for new men, not only in the weights, but also in most of the track and field events will probably be Jaakko's theme at the first track meeting to be hold Tuesday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the Varsity Club.

Don't get Jaakko wrong. When he plugs for new men, he is certainly not pessimistic. On the contrary, he is and has every reason to be, in the best of spirits.

Powerhouse Lost

It is true that graduation saw the loss of the Crimson's powerhouse hammer and weight team consisting of Bob Forsyth, John Thorndike, Larry Ward and Howie Reed (who leaves in February). It's also true that Jaakko lost a fine runner in '49 captain Dave Humblett, and a topflight high jumper in Harrigan.

On the other side of the ledger, however, Jaakko is blessed with the return of Gooff Tootell, this year's captain, and Don Trimble, each of whom is capable of competing in three field events and taking first or second in all three events almost every meet. Many other members of last year's varsity are returning. The squad will also include the best crop of Sophomore runners Jaakko has over had, many of whom were able to out-distance by far their varsity counterparts all last season.

So, when Jaakko speaks of new men, except in one or two positions such as the weight, where there are definite gaps, he is thinking in terms of depth. "We can always use good men anywhere," he says.

While many of the men who will be running the half mile and mile this winter and spring are now on the cross country squad, informal practice for sprinters, and field events men has been going on since the beginning of the term. "Now while we can still work outside is the best time to get started," Jaakko claims.

Runners returning from last year's varsity include Suivak, Thayer, Ruby and hurdler mcCormick. Among the wealth of Sophomore runners are Weiskopf, Cairns, Gregory, McGrath, Gruitzner, Montague and Berman, all members of last year's undefeated freshman team.

Besides Tootell and Trimble, other men who will probably compete in field events this season are Keith, and Ravreby in the Javelin, Rubin in the weight and hammer, football, and Wilson is the discus, Budlock in the pole vault, Best in the high jump, Kumple Geick and Gibson in the broad jump and Kanter and Ray in the shot.