Freshmen Top Exeter Eleven By 27-7 Edge

'53 Scores First Win of Year; Pappas, Lionette, O'Neil, Ederer Tally for Crimson

The freshman football team won its first game of the season and registered Harvard's second gridiron victory of the year as it whipped Exeter yesterday afternoon, 27 to 7.

The Yardlings, who had lost their first two games to Andover and Holy Cross, scored their first touchdown in the second period on a short buck by Art Pappas. They missed the extra point, but soon roared back to get seven more points on a pass from Hardy Cox to end Dick Lionette, and an extra-point kick by Bill Kierstead.

O'Neil Scores from One

In the thrid period, Gil O'Neil scored again on a one-yard plunge over the middle of the line.

The final points came in the last period as John Ederer scored on a five-yard reverse from the single-wing formation.

Kirestead made the last three extra-points on kicks, after missing the first.

The freshmen alternated between the T and single-wing formations to keep the Exeter defenses in a quandary.

Britton Elected Captain

On the bus to Exeter, the Yardlings elected Stan Britton, right end, captain.

The team started its season with a 26 to 13 loss to Andover. This was followed by a 31 to 6 trouncing by the Holy Cross freshmen. They will meet the Dartmouth yearlings at Hanover next week in an attempt to even up their record.

The lineup: Toepke, le; Stargle, lt; Batchelder, lg; Lemay, e; Nichols, rg; Tuckner, rt; Britton, re; O'Neil and Kierstead, qb; Cox and Duback, tb; Biltz and Pappas, fb; Ederer and Dillingham, wb.