Yardlings Improved in 27-7 Win Over Exeter Saturday

Things perked up for the freshman football team at Exeter Saturday as it swept to an easy 27 to 7 victory--Harvard's second of the year.

The Yardling defense, particularly, showed great improvement. The line played a noble game, so cramping the Exeter running game that the Red and Grey's only touchdown came on a series of short passes. Even these just squeezed out enough ground--there were two measurements for first downs in the touchdown drive.

The line also blocked three Exeter punts, as good an indication as any of its domination of play.

Also heartening was the showing of Hardy Cox, who did some very good passing, according to Coach Henry Lamar.

Cox was shifted last week to the T quarterback post by Lamar in an attempt to bolster the team's passing attack.

Art Pappas made some first-class punts, returning to form after a mediocre showing in the Holy Cross game. "It was just a matter of having some experience of kicking with a line rushing in on him," said Lamar. "He is naturally a good punter."

The Yardlings shifted back and forth between their T and single-wing formations, keeping the Exeter team continually guessing, and unable to dig in. Two touchdowns were scored from each formation.

After the game Lamar praised the running of John Ederer and Gill O'Neil, each of whom scored one TD. He also singled out Pete Dillingham for his 70 yard kickoff return in the third period, and other running.

Lamar would not point to anyone in the line for special praise, but he did call end Stan Britton, elected on the bus ride up, a "swell captain."