Eliot, Adams Continue Undefeated

Adams 13, Winthrop 0; Kirkland Bows, 19-6

Adams and Eliot held their places on top of the House football heap yesterday in the two games played at Soldiers Field.

The Gold Coasters outplayed a hard-fighting Winthrop club, winning 13 to 0, while the high-scoring Elephants kept a clean slate with a 19 to 6 victory over Kirkland.

The small crowd was treated to a brief concert between the halves of the Adams-Winthrop contest when a small Adams House band, consisting of four trumpets, two trombones, cymbals, and a small bass drum, marched onto, the field and played "Wintergreen" and "The Darktown Strutters' Ball."

Adams Suffers Scare

The Gold Coasters suffered a scare when Winthrop held them scoreless through the first three quarters, but poured on the steam in the final period, behind great line play, to squeeze out the win.

The first Adams score came in the early minutes of the fourth quarter when Dave Andrews flipped a touchdown pass to right end Dean Phypers. After an unnecessary roughness penalty on the conversion play, tailback Roger Davis kicked the extra point from approximately 25 yards out.

The clincher came near the end of the game when center Jim Merkle intercepted a Puritan desperation pass on the Winthrop 35 and ran it over the goal line behind timely blocks by Bill Boucher and Joe Domenie.

The Eliot-Kirkland contest was also tied at the end of the first half. The Elephants drove deep into Kirkland territory in the first period and went over on a pass from quarterback Charlie Cabot to Major Close. The Deacons evened the count early in the second quarter when they marched to the Eliot five yard line, and fullback Tom Lamb pushed the ball across.

Halfback Pete Reiner, whose opponents have called him "the best back in the House system," carried the ball on bucks through the line in the third and fourth periods for the other two Eliot scores.

This afternoon on Soldiers Field, Dudley plays Kirkland and Leverett takes on Winthrop in touch football.