FBI Agents Admit 'Liaison' Men Are Working at Yale

Two agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation have admitted the existence of "liaison men" on the Yale campus as sources of information on people being "checked." But they repeated earlier FBI denials that undercover agents have infiltrated into the nation's universities.

The statements were made Monday night at a forum in New Haven sponsored by the Yale Daily News. Four Yale professors, two students, and the FBI agents discussed first the role of the Bureau in general, and then its relation to Yale.

The investigators asserted that FBI loyalty reports were available only to the government, and had never been shown to the Yale administration, as charged by the CRIMSON last spring. They also announced the existence of affidavits from Yale deans, purportedly denying statements attributed to these deans in the CRIMSON, but the contents of the affidavits were not revealed.

Both the existence of undercover agents and FBI reports to the Yale faculty were previously denied in a letter sent to the CRIMSON by FBI director J. Edgar Hoover last spring. The CRIMSON has since maintained that Hoover's denials required specific documentation.