Freshman Soccer Ties Nichols J.C. In 2 - 2 Deadock

Breaking out of the scoring lethargy which had plagued it during its last two games, the freshman soccer team scored two goals yesterday but still could do no better than tie a strong Nichols Junior College eleven in an over-time game played on the Business School field.

The Yardlings, behind twice during the course of the game, displayed more speed than they have shown all year. Driving a hard, well-placed boot past the Nichols goalie in 11:48 of the second quarter, Jay Moffat climaxed a strong offensive drive to pull the locals to an even count with the Nichols team.

Couldn't Keep Pace

Although the action was heavy and fast, the freshmen were unable to keep pace with the bigger Nichols squad. A high kick from deep field put Nichols back in the lead midway in the third period.

Resuming the play that brought them their earlier tally, the Yardlings carried the ball down field with a series of short passes, and with six minutes left in the fourth period Berk Johnson scored the second Crimson goal. The Nichols defense stalled the freshman attack for the two five-minute overtime periods and the game ended with the ball deep in Nichols territory.