Student Attacks Coop For Alleged Violation Of Section in By-laws

A protest was filed yesterday with the Harvard Cooperative Society against an alleged violation of the Society's by-laws.

John M. Gregg '52 of Dunster House claimed that the organization was failing to live up to a portion of Article Three of its by-laws.

The disputed section of the by-laws reads "The Board of Directors . . . shall issue a printed report to the participating members . . . at least three weeks before the annual meeting of the participating members."

George E. Cole, General Manager of the Coop, said that he had always interpreted this to mean that the report had to be ready three weeks in advance of the meeting but that no attempt had ever been made to mail the report out to members.

The Coop, Cole said, prints each year for its 25,000 members a total of 300 annual reports. At the end of the year, he reported, "more than 200 copies" are left over.

Cole said that consideration will be given to the suggestion that the disputed section be dropped from the by-laws. The Society next year, he said, may include an announcement in its membership "memo book" to the effect that the annual report may be picked up in the Coop office.