Eleven Works on Offense, Defense

Valpey Eschews Usual Scrimmage; Coan and Bender May Be Ready

The varsity football team omitted its usual Wednesday contact work yesterday as it went through offensive and defensive drills in preparation for the Yale game Saturday.

Coach Art Valpey explained after practice though he felt a scrimmage was needed to sharpen the squad's timing, the team's physical conditions had prevented contact work.

Yesterday's principal development was the removal of Chief Bender and John Coan from the medical list. If they can get in physical shape and make up for the practice time they have lost, both may see action Saturday.

In yesterday's practice, the freshmen ran Yale plays against the varsity's defensive units while the Jayvees manned the dummies against the varsity offensive platoons. The defensive workout put emphasis on stopping Yale passing plays, which were very effective against Princeton last week. The offensive drill saw Valpey juggling his backfields in an effort to fill holes left by injuries.

Kicking and Tackling

The practice started with a brief kicking drill and would up with 15 minutes work on the tackling dummies, one of the first times since the Stanford game that the team has had such a workout.

While the daily practices proceed as though Saturday's contest were just another game, the squad is continually reminded that this is Yale Week. Each night, red flares have been lighted on the fence surrounding the practice area. And last night, as the team trooped into Dillon Field House for a brief skull session after its workout, a phonograph blared out Harvard songs from the Band's "Ivy League" and "Half Time" albums.

Still another sign that this is Yale Week is the luncheon which the team will attend at the Boston Harvard Club today. The luncheon is being given by a group of alumni.