Group Studies Council's Role In the College

Seven Subcommittees Examine Aims of Council in Attempt At Evaluation of Purposes

The Student Council's Committee for "Self Examination" will begin next week to evaluate the role of the Council in the College. Charles R. Brynteson '50 and Walter B. Raushnbush '50, co-chairmen of the new group, set up official machinery last night.

After this general examination of the Council's purpose and duties is finished near the end of the term, the committee will try to make it possible for the Council to fulfill its purpose by changing the constitution. It will also advise procedural changes to make the Council efficient in fulfilling its newly determined goals, the chairmen said last night.

Seven Subcommittees

For the first phase of the examination, seven subcommittees will determine what the Council's relation to a specific part of College affairs should be. Then next February, new committees will try to fit these theoretical goals into the Council charter.

The seven fields of Council activity, which will be investigated by the subcommittees, are: the Council and the University; the Council in freshman affairs; election and membership of the Council; Houses and the Council; relations with semi-public organizations (such as the Salzburg Seminar, National Student Association, Phillips Brooks House, and the Class Committees), public relations of the Council with undergraduates; and Council committees.

General Report

Each group will write part of the general report of the Committee for "Self Examination."

Chairmen of five of the groups, who were picked by Brynteson and Raushenbush, include Richard W. Kimball '50 freshman affairs; John T. Hazel '51, election and membership; Bruce R. Harriman '50, Houses; Alfred M. Goodloe '50, semi-public groups; and John R. W. Smail '51, public relations.

The entire committee was selected last spring by Robert L. Fischells '59, then president of the Council, under a regulation which calls for a periodic review of Council activities.