Crimson Booters Shut Out Eli, 2-0

Clever Play Confounds Heavy Yalies; Wolf And Goldstein Score

By Charles W. Bailey

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Nov. 18--It was brains over brawn on Yale Field today, as the Harvard soccer team downed Yale, 2 to 0, by playing short, accurate ball all the way. Scoring once in the second period and again at the beginning of the fourth, Coach Bruce Monro's team made a heavy, "boot-and-run" Eli outfit play Harvard's game all the way except for a few shaky minutes at the beginning.

Ted Wolf and Ben Goldstein, left and right outsides on the forward line, provided the scoring. Rick Drake at center half, goalie Whoop Batchelder, and fullbacks Bill Harrop and Mike Scully bore the weight of an Eli attack that was vicious though sporadic.

The game opened with Harvard coordinating poorly. The halfback line, key to moving the ball into scoring position, was not working well, and for nearly a full period Yale had the edge. At the end of the period Harvard had muffed two excellent scoring chances.

Take Control

Monro's men finally clicked in the second period and began to hold the game "on the carpet" in front of the Blue goal. After a brief Yale push to midfield, Wolf picked up the rebound of a long Drake boot and pumped it in at 14:05.

Left halfback Dick Miller was injured shortly after this score and removed to the field house with a possible broken nose. He returned in the third period.

Ben Goldstein broke through the Yale defense again at 5:45 of the fourth period when he charged into a pile in front of the goal and banged the ball across the goal mouth into the far corner.

Drake was perhaps the outstanding man on the field. From a slow start he became the hardest-charging man in the game. Batchelder, in his last game as captain, was flawless in the goal, making upwards of 20 saves.

In the last ten minutes of play, Monro shifted his lineup and packed his defense to hold off Yale. This lineup controlled the ball for the duration of the game as time and fatigue caught up with the desperate Elis.

The Harvard lineup: Batchelder, g; Scully, lfb; Harrop, rfb; Miller, lhb; Drake, chb; Pantaleoni, rhb; Wolf, ol; Spivak, il; Drehmel, cf; Weiss, ir; Goldstein, or.