Bingham Says 'No Tumbling' During Halves

Cheerleaders Incurred Edict By Dartmouth Game Antics; Band Stunts Also Curtailed

William J. Bingham '16, director of Athletics, made public last night a ruling that the Harvard cheerleaders would not be allowed to do their tumbling acts at football games when the bands are on the filed. This ruling was first applied at last Saturday's Holy Cross game.

Bingham said that he had invoked this rule after the Crimson cheerleaders had "embarrassed him" by performing their tumbling acts when the Dartmouth band was playing at half time two weeks ago. He added that the visiting colleges had complied with his request not to interrupt the bands with student pranks, and that he "felt we should do our part too."

Official Silence

Jerry Liebman '50, head cheerleader, stated that he "was more than happy to comply with Mr. Bingham's ruling not to tumble while the bands were playing." But he said that he had received no request from either Bingham or Associate Dean Robert B. Watson '34, prior to the Dartmouth game not to tumble when the bands were performing. Watson was not available for comment.

Paul B. Finney '50, Band Manager, said last night that the band had received a similar notice from Watson not to perform any skits on the field which might reflect on other colleges. This edict, Finney asserted, would apply to any bandsman dressed up as an Indian, Bear, or Tiger. Finney also claims that there had been repercussions from Dartmouth and University Hall concerning the "Indian that came out of the cocktail glass" the band formed at the Dartmouth game.