Slichter Denies Accusation That Textbook Is Slanted

Sumner H. Slichter, Lamont University Professor, last night denied charges by Benjamin H. Namm that a book used in one of his courses was "slanted against the economic system in which (students) seek to earn a livelihood."

The book, "Economics and Introductory Analysis," by Paul A. Samuelson, is currently being used in Slichter's "Economic Aspects of Public Policy," and also in "Economics for the Citizen," a course given by Seymour E. Harris '20, professor of Economics.

Cause "Psychological Fixations"

Namm, a past-president of the National Retail Dry Goods Association, claimed that the text gave students a bad economic education, and "psychological fixations which prejudice them against happiness in their work . . . ."

Although Harris was not available for comment last night, Slichter said that he was using the book and believed the text to be "good".

Namm said that after speaking to "several college and university presidents," he found that in two of the leading eastern universities, "at least 80 per cent of the members of the economics faculties favor planning and direction by government as the prime determiner in economic values . . . ."

When asked by the CRIMSON last night if he would name these universities, Namm declined.

Consensus in the Economics Department last night was that it is impossible to determine just what percentage of the faculty is in favor of such a vague term as "economic planning."