Costs Won't Cut College's Coffee

Despite the fact that the doubled price of coffee will cost the University approximately $10,000 more a year in the future than formerly, no cut-down in the amount is planned, William A. Heaman, Director of Dining Halls, announced last night.

This is possible, Heaman said, only because of the comparatively small part coffee plays in the average student's diet. "If everyone drank as much coffee as milk," he explained, "we would probably have to purchase less in the future."

A canvassing of merchants in and around Harvard Square recently revealed a considerable difference of opinion on the part of retailers and consumers as to the cause, effect, and future of soaring prices. All stores, however, stressed one thing; there is no coffee shortage.

Local Sales Up

The local trend, in contrast to a slight decline in sales reported in New York during the past few days, has been a continued increase in the volume of purchases.

A salesman attributed this to the fact that a "housewives would rather buy coffee today for 86 cents than for 90 cents next week and 81 the week after."