SANSS Presents Aiken, Skinner on 'Utopias' Tonight

Two opposing schools of psychology will clash on the subject of "Utopia" tonight in Harvard 6 when Henry David Aiken '40, associate professor of Philosophy, and Burrhus Frederick Skinner '31, professor of Psychology, speak under the auspices of the Students' Association for the Natural and Social Sciences.

Basis for the discussion will be Skinner's recent book, "Walden Two," in which the author portrays a Utopia with psychologists as the leading figures in the community. Skinner is associated with the "human behavior" theory of psychology.

Expresses Opposition

Aiken, on the other hand, has expressed opposition to the scientific Utopianism proposed by Skinner. According to Aiken, Skinner's view ". . . leads to the most desperate, grimmest sort of police state imaginable."

While tonight's meeting was originally scheduled as a discussion, SANNS President, Arthur Deikman '51, predicted last night that the proceedings might become a debate. "Professor Aiken was pleased with the opportunity to discuss Professor Skinner's book publicly," he said.

The discussion, which is open to the public, will begin at 8:30 p.m. and will be followed by a question period.