Band Off Tonight To Play for NAM Banquet in N.Y.C.

Did you ever travel to New York and back for a 20-minute "date?" Chances are that you haven't, but 110 members of the University Band will do just that tonight and tomorrow.

Engaged to play for just that long at the opening session of the National Association of Manufacturers convention at the Waldorf-Astoria tomorrow morning, the crowd of musicians will leave South Station at 10 p.m. tonight and return tomorrow afternoon.

N.A.M. Foots Bill

N.A.M. will pay all expenses of the Band's jaunt, even though most of the manufacturers will barely be seated by the time the Band is through.

The idea for the concert originated when several N.A.M. officials heard the Band play for the Associated Industries of Massachusetts' October convention in Boston.

Band manager Paul A. Lucey '51 promises his charges will provide a short send-off concert at the station tonight.

The Band was almost ruled out for the job because its 150 members would not leave enough room in the banquet hall for the N.A.M. Forty men had to be cut from the travelling squad to get it down to the right dimensions.