Crimson's Handy Shoppers' Guide Tells What to Buy for Him Her

Hankies Are Verboten For Women; Give Them Earrings

"A little mink thing" is running first again this year, on the list of "what I would like for Christmas." After that come all sorts of jewelry--earrings--preferably exotic drop varieties, or the ceramic carrings sold at the Window Shop.

"A diamond ring would be nice too" according to several of the women around Harvard, but they also like pins, fancy handkerchiefs, bracelets and chokers. A girl who is amply supplied with these decorations can use a jewelry case, and would be particularly impressed with one with a sliding drawer and initials.

Although Chanel Number Five is out of date, perfume will always be a good present for any women. Chalimar and Flour de Feu are current favorites. "Arpoge," which comes in handy $3.00 bottles is also being featured this year.

Women stress that they would rather have a dram of a good perfume than a gallon of not-so-good brands. This general rule holds true except for cologne, which a lot of women like.

It is a rare woman who will not feel indignant, though she will conceal her rage, when presented with a handkerchief. Luckily there are many alternatives near the Square like Harvard mascots, scarves and embossed jewelry. Band albums are wonderful presents and even a Harvard calendar can be useful.

Of course women strongly favour presents with the personal touch. Where a cigarette lighter will not fill the bill, a plant, print, cashmeer sweater, paper weight or the right book might.

It can be cold around Harvard, so objects like ear muffs, gloves, wool scarves, and mittens are good. Some women prefer clothes with more style, such as French gloves and nylon lingerie, but any female in her right mind will accept and appreciate a pair of stockings.

Mothers are often the worst people to give presents to. A few possible ideas are records, quilted lingerie cases, Chinese tea cups, and jasmin tea. They might even like a picture of you or a subscription to the CRIMSON.