Briggs hall Thief Returns Pilfered $43 to Residents

Forty-three dollars in a white business envelope turned up on a Briggs Hall sofa yesterday morning but it still didn't close the books on the series of thefts that has milked $133 from Hall residents this term.

Mrs. Mason Garfield head resident, found the money yesterday and returned it to the four girls form whom it was stolen Wednesday evening. She guessed that the thief had given it back after police entered the case and newspapers publicized it.

$90 to Go

But Radcliffe officials and Cambridge police are still worried about the other $90 that has been stolen from Briggs during the fall. Police inspectors are now fingerprinting the ransacked pocketbooks, and they plan to check them against State criminal files and possibly Briggs residents.

The Annex, convinced that it was an inside job, has turned the matter over to President Wilbur K. Jordan, who is now considering what steps to take.

Police were pretty sure last night that one student has been taking all the money this year. They speculated that she had already spent the first $90, and couldn't return it in the envelope yesterday morning.

The latest theft occurred Wednesday night while Briggs residents were having supper. When the robbery was discovered, Mrs. Garfield rang the fire alarm and summoned the 96 residents downstairs, where they were all searched in vain.