Yard Five Downs BU, 56-48; Elects Lionette Captain

By Bayley F. Mason

For the first two minutes of last night's Blockhouse game with Boston University the freshman basketball team looked as though it were going to hand the game to BU. But after this sloppy opening the Yardlings settled down, grabbed a 12 point half time lead, and kept the highly publicized Terriers panting along behind them, and finished with a 56 to 48 victory.

After the game the team elected as its captain Richard Lionette '53 of Everett, Mass., and Matthews Hall.

The freshmen didn't outclass the Terriers, but they played a much cooler and more alert game as a team. Except for poor coverage on rebounds from the offensive board, Floyd Wilson's Yard- ling's usually got the jump on a loose ball.

Offensively the freshmen exhibited a fast break game, working the ball down the outside. Most of the time they were able to break through the Terrier defense without having to rely on long set shots. Particularly successful were the quick outside shots of Lionette and Jim Urdan.

The summary:

HARVARD (56)  G  F  PLionette, c  4  6  14Judson, g  3  7  13Urdan, g  4  1  9Hansen, f  4  0  8Lemay, g  2  1  5Myers, f  1  3  5Briggs, f  1  0  2Nichols, f  0  0  0Kenny, c  0  0  0Stonestreet, g  0  0  0Canepa, f  0  0  0Totals  19  18  5