Stevens Succeeds Boring as Director of Psychology Lab

Dr. S. Smith Stevens will succeed Dr. Edwin G. Boring as director of the Psychological Laboratories on July 1, Provost Buck announced over the weekend. Boring has been director of the Laboratories for 25 years.

Stevens came to Harvard from Stanford in 1932 and received his Ph.D. a year later. He held various posts in the psychology department until in 1944 he became an associate professor of Psychology and was appointed Director of the Psycho-Acoustic Laboratory, located in the basement of Memorial Hall.

This research center, closely associated with the Psychological Laboratories, was established in 1940 to conduct studies on problems of hearing and sound for the armed forces.

Boring got an associate professorship here in 1922 after having worked for several years in experimental psychology at Cornell and Clark University. In 1928 he was president of the American Psychological Association. During the war he worked on psychology manuals for the War Department. Boring will continue as an active member of the Faculty.