Ski Meet Supplies Alibi For Dartmouth Hoopla

Dartmouth's wild and wooly Winter Carnival, where the girls run faster and the wine flows like wine, is back again this weekend. The fraternities have dusted off their bartenders, the parietal rules have turned their backs in shame, and every hotel, rooming house, and bordello within 10 miles hasn't an empty bed left. Oddly enough, this is big news in skiing.

For the Carnival tries to justify its existence each year by holding a ski meet. It's the toughest intercollegiate meet in the country, and also the most famous. Nine schools will join in, and Harvard is one of them.

The others are Dartmouth, Middle-bury, New Hampshire, McGill, St. Lawrence, Toronto, Maine, and Vermont. There are more top-notch skiers in this group than you could shake a can of Gsellin Lacquer at.

Harvard Team

Harvard will try to buck the competition with the team of Graham Taylor, Laurie Griffin, Gerry Gonn, Rod Nordblom, Gordy Abbott, Tim Wise, John Hart, and Skiddy Lund. The competition includes downhill, slalom, cross-country, and jumping, held tomorrow and Saturday.

The program also lists some combined events, but these are all run off with adding machines and pencils.

Actually, of course, the ski events are as irrelevant to the Carnival as the huge snow imp poking his nose out of the huge snow boot in the middle of the campus, Like the comedians at the Old Howard, the skiers are just there to keep the crowd amused in its spare moments.

Fun, Girls, Fun

What everyone will be looking for is just plain fun. There'll be a lot of Harvards up there, too, with that thought in mind.

Hanoverian entertainment starts Friday evening with the Outdoor Evening. Here it is that the Queen of the Snows is chosen. Contrary to popular belief, Dartmouth boys don't want their girl chosen queen. She has to pose for photographers for two whole days and is expected to remain relatively sober.

That night the Glee Club sings; there's a repeat performance Saturday, and it's something no one should miss. The house parties begin promptly at 9 p.m. and go on and on.

The next day sees a hockey game against Princeton and a basketball game with Harvard. A girl's skiing contest at 10:30 a.m. will help you laugh off the morning-after. Frat parties resume at 9 p.m., if they ever stopped, and the Carnival Ball begins at 10.

There are enough things happening at Dartmouth. If you're going skiing this weekend, Hanover is the place to be, if you don't care to ski.

The ski team lineups: Downhill: Abbott, Taylor, Griffin, Genn, Slalom: Genn, Abbott, Nordblom, Taylor. Combined: Genn, Abbott, Taylor, Griffin. Cross-Country: Nordblom, Lund, Hunt, Taylor. Jump: Taylor, Griffin, Wise, Genn. Combined: Taylor, Hunt, Nordblom, Wise.