HYD, Reed Group Merge; New Club Backs Eisler Talk

The Harvard Youth for Democracy announced last night it will merge with the John Reed Society to form the John Reed Club, nee "Marxist political and discussion group."

The amalgamation is a departure for the HYD, which previously claimed it was "non-Marxist."

George Stocking '49, executive of both old clubs, has announced an organizational meeting of the JRC tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Noble Room of Phillips Brooks House. After election of officers and approval of a constitution at this meeting, the new group will apply to the Dean's Office for a charter.

Eisler Speaks Monday

Simultaneously, Stocking said that the newly formed JRC will sponsor an address by Gerhardt Eisler on "The Marxist Theory of Social Change." The talk is set for Monday evening in Emerson D.

Eisler, recently appointed Professor of Political Science at the Leipzing University, was described last year as "America's number one Communist" by the Luce publications. Most of the activities of the new club will follow the pattern of the Eisler meeting.

Stocking stated that the merger of the clubs was designed to prevent over lapping. Dissolution of the national office of the American Youth for Democracy was also a precipitating factor, it was pointed out.