Sextet Loses To Big Green In 4-3 Battle

Dick Desmond, Indian Captain, Saves Game for Dartmouth With Acrobatic Goal-Tending

By Donald Carswell

The varsity hockey team turned on the pressure four goals and 28 minutes too late at the Arena last night, so the visiting Dartmouth Indians eked out a 4 to 3 win. Virtually the only reason why the Crimson second and third period surge failed was the brilliant goal play of Green captain Dick Desmond.

Desmond made 37 saves, blocked half a dozen almost sure scoring shots, and played probably the finest goal tending game the Arena will see this winter. He is possessed of a superb sense of timing and distance, and of a set of reflexes which consistently frustrated would-be Harvard scorers as well as being a constant source of annoyance to the majority of partisans present.

Speed to Spare

In the first 20 minutes, Dartmouth had a definite edge in both speed and coordination. Their plays seemed to be better developed and their shots were apparently harder to handle. Add to this enough luck to cause a pipe shot to deflect into the goal instead of out into the rink and you have the two goal edge the Indians enjoyed while the ice was being remade.

Dartmouth scored twice more in the first eight minutes of the second period, once on a push shot in a scuffle in front of the cage, and then on a patented Riley crossover slap-shot with Joe scoring and Billy assisting. With 7:26 of the second period gone, the Indians were through scoring.

At 11:58 Myles Huntington took a goal-mouth pass from his left wing, Tom Moseley, and made it 4 to 1. For the next ten minutes, while the crowd of some 4000 roared excitedly, Harvard rushed the cage repeatedly, and with 15 seconds to go in the period Lew Preston took a pass from Coulter and scored.

Dave Abbot made it 4 to 3 midway in the final session, but despite two penalties against Dartmouth in the final ten minutes, the Crimson was unable to slap the puck past Desmond.

Coach John Chase came up with a strategem which almost brought about a Crimson tie or win. He started the second line of Huntington, Abbot, and Moseley against the Riley-Harrison-Riley Dartmouth powerhouse, because they were better on defense and limited that trio to but two goals. Unfortunately Desmond seemed to be at his best against the Crimson first line.

DARTMOUTH (4) HARVARD (3)

First Period: Scoring-Thayer (unassisted), 10:58; Harrison (Gray), 11:18. Penalties-Harrison (elbow check), Dow (holding).

Second Period: Scoring-Kerivan (Crowley), 4:10; J. Riley (W. Riley), 7:26; Huntington (Moseley), 11:58; Preston (Coulter, D. Key), 19:47.

Penalties-A. Key (leg check), Thayer (handling the puck), Carman (holding).

Third Period: Scoring-Abbot (Huntington), 12:32. Penalties-Anderson (charging), Harrison (tripping), W. Riley (tripping).

Line Score-

Dartmouth  2  2  0-4Harvard  0  2  1-