Swimmers Dunk Quakers in 42-33 Meet at Philadelphia

Despite the spectacular swimming of Pennsylvania's one-man team, captain Don deForrest, Harvard's once-defeated swimming squad gained a 42 to 33 victory at the City of Brotherly Love last night. DeForrest won the 100-yd freestyle and sparked Penn victories in the medley and freestyle relays.

Penn also took the diving to run up four first places in the evening's meet. It was in the second place division that Ulen's team showed its depth, and with this reserve strength the Blockhouse outfit gained its sixth win of the season.

Chuck Hoelzer and Larry Ward teamed up in the 200-yd breaststroke to not the Crimson eight points. Jerry Gorman and Bob Berke pulled the same maneuver in the 220-yd freestyle and Tom Woods worked it again in the 150-yd backstroke with Berke's assistance. Ted Norris's first in the 440-yd freestyle, coupled with Joe Fox's win in the 50-yd freestyle swung the meet for Harvard.

Gordon Weir placed second in the diving followed by teammate Win Briggs. This was the first time that Weir had outpointed his compatriot in the three meets since Tom Drohan left the squad. Briggs had previously been rated somewhat over Weir by pool-side observers, namely the judges.

Shep Brown placed third in the 50-yd freestyle after pace-setter Joe Fox, who later trailed deForrest in the 100-yd freestyle to place second.

The team returns to Cambridge today to ready itself for Saturday's meet at Princeton against a newly-organized Tiger squad.