H.L.U. Decides on Legal Proceeding Against U.T.

Executive Committee Will Try To Negotiate with University Theatre Before Court Action

The Liberal Union threatened yesterday to take court action against the University Theater for interfering with the HLU Film Series. However, the executive committee voted to attempt a private settlement before starting litigation.

Committee members contend that the theater management has acted illegally and will ask it to end all restrictions on HLU programs. If no settlement can be made, then HLU will sue the theater for damages and seek an injunction against future pressure on distributors. However, the committee declined to reveal what form legal action will take.

Claim Competition

The controversy arose three weeks ago when RKO Pictures Inc. and United World Films, distributors of 16mm films to HLU, refused to release any more movies which might compete with the U.T.

U.T. contended that contracts between distributors and exhibitors state that non-theatrical enterprises may not show 16mm films which compete with 35mm outlets. The HLU protested that it had already signed contracts with United World to receive certain prints.

Several Law School HLU members under the direction of a prominent Boston lawyer have been studying the case. Yesterday this staff advised the HLU executive committee meeting that the U.T. management had acted illegally.