Harvard Six Defeats Princeton, 8-6

Crimson Scores Six Goals in 3rd Period To Overtake Tiger

By Douglas M. Fouquet

The varsity sextet played through two periods of dull, lazy hockey last night at the Arena before opening up with a six goal third period that nipped Princeton. 8 to 6, and kept alive Crimson hopes for a Pentagonal League title.

The Tigers led, 3 to 2, at the end of two periods, but a transformed Harvard team returned to the ice and within 49 seconds had tied the score. The two teams then see-sawed through eight more goals, climaxed by two by Myles Huntington that finally won the game for the Crimson.

Tigers on Defensive

The same pattern of play that has characterized most of the varsity's recent games held forth in the first two periods. The Tigers signalled their intent to play a defensive game by packing their net, and the Crimson passed and skated so poorly that it looked for a long time as if the team might not even be able to win.

Only twice in the first two periods did the Crimson come to life. At 6:08 of the first period and at 9:50 of the second, Dave Key and Bill Garrity scored on well-functioning pass plays.

But when things got hot and stayed hot in third period, the varsity found its passing game and clearly dominated the remainder of the game.

Three of Harvard's six third period tallies came within the opening four minutes. Bill Garrity caught Tiger goalie Chuck Callanan off guard at 0:49; Lew Preston eased in a diagonal shot at 1:13; and Huntington in the goal mouth poked in the first of his three goals on a pass from Dave Abbot at 2:30.

Joe Kittredge popped in another Crimson tally at 12:52, and following two more Princeton scores, Huntington caged his two game-winning goals on bullet passes from Bill Allen and Abbot in that order.

Two factors that especially aided the Crimson were the ten penalties (including two penalty shots) called against the Tigers and the fact that Princeton's first-string center, Bill Clarkson, was out of the lineup with a knee injury.

The summaries: HARVARD  1  1  6 -- 8 PRINCETON  1  2  3 -- 6