Houses Agree To Take DP's, Pay Expenses

Every House Will Campaign to Raise $600 Apiece for Room And Board by May 1 Deadline

Each of the seven Houses has agreed to adopt a displaced person next year and to raise $600 for his room, board, and personal expenses, Roy M. Goodman '51, chairman of the Student Council International Activities Committee, announced yesterday after a meeting with House Student Committee chairmen.

Each House will run a separate fundraising drive sometime in the seven weeks before May 1, deadline for signing the assurance papers necessary to guarantee support of the DP's. Eliot House, which began its drive last Tuesday, has already collected a substantial part of its total through door-to-door solicitation.

College Plane Aid

Provost Buck has announced that scholarship funds will be allocated to pay the tuition for the DP's; John W. Holt, Director of Student Employment, has guaranteed them jobs; and the Student Council has turned over $1000 and the Liberal Union about $100 to swell the general expenses pot.

In giving the DP program final approval ten days ago the Council had recommended that Houses collect $2200 among them and that the extra-curricular organizations subscribe the remaining $1000. But the House chairmen, meeting a week ago, insisted that they wanted each House to have its own DP and to collect all the money for him. They then checked back to their full committees, and yesterday reported unanimous approval of the program.

Campaigns Planned

Leverett has decided to solicit door-to-door before vacation; Adams will begin April 17; Dunster plans tentatively to sell "DP corsages" at its March 26 formal. The remaining House have fixed no dates as yet.

The figures estimated for the DP's expenses are: average room rate, $220; board, $410; personal expenses (absolute minimum), $220; total, $850.

Employment income will come to about $250. This leaves $600 as the net cost to each House for its DP student, according to the DP Sub-Committee of John H. Carnahan '51, John B. Jones, Jr. '51, and Edward M. Yamasaki '50, which has been organizing the program