LeCorbeiller, 5 Others Get GE Professorships

Physics Lecturer Gets First Full-Time GE Job; Assistant Professors Also Appointed

Phillipe E. LeCorbeiller, lecturer in Applied Physics, has received the first full-time appointment in the College's General Education program, Provos Buck announced last night. LeCorbeiller's title will be Professor of General Education in the Physical Sciences.

Simultaneously Provost Buck revealed the selection of the following five assistant professors in GE: I. Bernard Cohen '37, Richard N. Frye, Gerald J. Holton, Daniel H. H. Ingalls '36, and John Sawyer.

Professor LeCorbeiller's appointment marks the first time that a scholar and specialist has been assigned solely to College instruction in a wide field, with no graduate school duties.

Earlier "Half-Time" Post

The only previous permanent assignment to GE came through the division of Associate Professor Samuel H. Beer's appointment between the Government and the General Education Departments.

Three of the new appointees have been working in the Natural Sciences section of the present GE program, two as lecturers and one as an instructor. Cohen gives Natural Sciences 3, Holton is an assistant in Natural Sciences 2. and Professor LeCorbeiller teaches Natural Sciences 1--all courses in the "Principles of Physical Sciences."

Professor LeCorbeiller received his doctorate in science from the University of Paris in 1926, taught in French universities, and came to Harvard in the fall of 1941.