Saint Patrick's Day

Fifteen centuries ago today, Saint Patrick chased the serpents out of Ireland. Since then, there have been annual commemorations of that worthy event, extending into the wee hours of the morning, at which time the snakes are usually doing the chasing.

And today marks the anniversary of another ponderous date in the story of civilization; it was 173 years ago that the British were forced to evacuate their entrenchments behind what is now known as Scollay Square. Which explains the colorful parades that will appear tonight on that historic spot, and the evacuation of the taverns at midnight that will recall the great exodus of 1776. Thus do true Bostonians demonstrate their deep seated sense of traditional rites and solemn observances.

Both of the magnificent occasions referred to above were attended, as are most landmarks in history, by human suffering and sacrifice. And here too, patriotic Americans are not unmindful of their rich heritage. Tonight in Boston's streets, citizens will gather together in hearty bands. Glorious pageantry will ensue. Some will take the part of the British; some will don quaint Gaelic costumes and take up the storied shillelagh. And the famous contests of former days will once more enliven local byways, as the loyal sons of the sod relive the glories of Saint Patrick and the defeat of the Orangemen.