Council OK's Yard Charter By 9-1 Count

Constitution Provides Elected Union Committee; Goes to Dean Leighton for Approval

The Student Council last night gave final approval, by a 9 to 1 vote, to a new Freshman Constitution, based on an elected rather than an appointed Union Committee.

The Council-backed constitution now goes to Dean Leighton for final decision before it can go into effect for the Class of '53. In February, however, Leighton gave the Council the green light to construct a charter, reserving only the right to vote provisions which ran counter to College policy.

"Proctoral Units"

Under the proposed set-up, voting by "proctoral units" within Yard Halls after four weeks of entry parties and meetings in the fall term would elect a Union Committee of approximately 31 men.

The Committee would then elect a chairman, a treasurer, and two freshman representatives to the Council, who would appoint six more officers such as a Dance Committee chairman.

Later, class-wide elections would pick Smoker and Jubilee Committees whose chairmen would join the executive "cabinet" of the Union Committee. The 12-man cabinet would serve as a core group to the bulky Union Committee.

The constitution permits assessment of dues on the freshman class, but places most fiscal powers of the new Union Committee under some form of vote control either by the Chairman of the Council Freshman Affairs Committee or the Secretary of the Union.

The charter, which was drawn up and frequently revised by the Council Freshman Affairs Committee under George I. Harris '50, was accepted after several months of dispute.