Council May Investigate Possible Rise in Tuition

Finance Committee's Report Might Bring Accountant to Audit Books of University.

In the face of a possible tuition rise, the Council Finance Committee last night released a report examining the desirability of hiring an accountant to audit the University's books to see if such a rise were justified.

The Committee vote was split 4 to 4 on the issue and the report presented the arguments of both sides: Walter B. Raushenbush '50 for the investigation, Chairman David L. McMurtrie '50 against it. Provost Buck will speak to the Council Monday night about the problem of price increases.

In addition, the report recommended that the Administration raise scholarship stipends by the full amount of the tuition rise "to assure that no student be forced to leave the College by virtue of the rise alone."

Pro and Con

Raushenbush, in advocating the investigation, cited the success of a similar survey by Columbia's Student Council, and emphasized that the student body should be kept informed, especially "at present (when) in a view of the apparent disinflation, another increase will arouse vigorous complaint."

McMurtrie said that a "whirlwind survey ... would leave us open to foolish and dangerous error," and insisted that advocacy of such an investigation would imply inefficiency or lack of interest in students on the part of the Administration.