Stuka, Walsh Give 2 Hits As BC Downs Crimson, 3-1

By Peter B. Taub

Two-hit pitching by Steve Stuka and Ed Walsh carried Boston College to a 3 to 1 victory over Harvard here Saturday.

Lefty Barry Turner, making his second start of the season for the Crimson, held the Eagles in check for exactly three innings with his curve ball combined with a nice change of pace. He had a no-hitter and a 1 to 0 lead going into the fourth, when two singles, a sacrifice, an intentional walk, and another single gave BC two runs.

John Caulfield had scored Harvard's only run in the first on a two-base error by shortstop John Yurewicz, an infield out, and another infield error. After that, the Crimson never threatened. Its two hits(by Pete Petrille and Mort Dunn) came in the second and third but Petrille was forced at second and Dunn was caught stealing.

Walsh Great in "Relief"

Walsh, who came on in the fifth, proved even more effective than Stuke. He set the Harvards down in order for the rest of the game, while striking out seven of them. BC, which had men on base in every inning after the third, scored again in the eighth on a double, a sacrifice, and an infield error. Herb Neal pitched the ninth for the losers and was adequate.

Tomorrow, Stuffy McInnis goes calling on Jack Barry, shortstop in the $100,000 infield for which Stuffy played first base. The occasion is a Patriots' Day game with Holy Cross, where Barry now coaches. Saturday's Summary: HARVARD (1)   ab  r  h  po  a  e Dunn, ss  4  0  1  2  2  1 Caulfield, if  4  0  0  2  0  0 Crosby, c  3  1  0  5  2  0 Coulson, 1b  4  0  0  9  2  0 Howe, rf  3  0  0  2  0  0 Moffie, cf  2  0  0  3  0  0 Petrille, 3b  3  0  1  0  0  1 Cavanaugh, 2b  3  0  O  3  2  0 Turner, p  2  0  0  1  4  0 Neal, p  0  0  0  0  0  0 *Essayan  1  0  0  0  0  0 **Mannino  1  0  0  0  0  0 Totals  30  1  2  27  12  2 *Grounded out for Turner in eighth **Struck out for Howe in ninth