Senate Votes Down Taft, Wherry Proposals to Slash E.R.P.; Russia May Break British, French Pacts

Other News Events in Brief

Fights in Nanking between soldiers and anti-government student demonstrators injured 144 persons late yesterday following departure of an official mission to talk peace with the Chinese Communists. The students charged the government was making insincere peace overtures and that it actually was preparing for continued civil war. They also demanded better living conditions and attacked "American imperialism."

New York's union cab drivers struck yesterday in a city-wide dispute that emptied the streets of most of the city's 11,510 taxicabs, and the city's entire police force was put under "gravest emergency" orders. Although some drivers defied pickets there were no reports of any passengers being molested. The striking union called the walkout in a bid to win recognition as bargaining agent for the cab firms' drivers, mechanics, and other employees.

A bill giving President Truman broad powers to revamp the government, but making it easier for Congress to nullify his reorganization plans, was approved yesterday by a Senate Committee. Truman had asked reorganization powers and his request was supported by former president Herbert Hoover whose commission on reorganization submitted its last report yesterday.