Catholic Group Meets Despite Ban

By Alex C. Hoagland jr.

More than 30 persons--a number of them Harvard students--gathered last night at the St. Benedict (Catholic) Conter on Arrow Street despite Archbishop Richard J. Cushing's day-old decree with-drawing the Sacraments of Penance and Holy Eucharist from "any Catholics who frequent" the Center or who". . . in any way take part in or assist its activities."

Reporters were denied admission to the meeting. A spokesman said the scheduled talk by Fahkrl Maluf, recently ousted Boston College professor, would not be delivered. He said the members were holding "their own meeting."

Directors Defy Archbishop

The Board of Directors of the Center declared yesterday morning in a formal statement that the Center was "not founded by a decree of the Archbishop and will not be dissolved by such a decree."

Rev. Leonard Feeney, S. J., for four years instructor and spiritual director at the Center, was also deprived of the right "to perform any priestly function, including preaching and teaching of religion" under the Archbishop's decree.

The action stripping Fr. Feeney of his pricatly functions was taken, according to the decree, because of his "grave offense against the laws of the Catholic Church."

The grave offense was not cited, but Fr. Fooney last week publicly supported three Boston College lay faculty members who accused the Jesuit college of teaching "heresies." The three have been removed by Rev. William J. Keleher, S.J., president of B. C.

Fr. Feeney's Doctrine

Fr. Feeney said yesterday "the reason I am being silenced is because I believe there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church and without personal submission to our Holy Father, the Pope, and Archbishop Cushing believes there is. . . I believe the present silencing of me is totally invalid." This is the same doctrine stand taken by the ousted B.C. professors.

Archbishop Cushing disclosed in a statement that "Father Feeney has been defying the orders of his legitimate superiors for more than seven months and since January 1 of this year has not possessed the faculties of this archdiocese."

The Jeanit priest, who has often attacked Harvard College for allegedly weakening the faith of Catholic students and who has advocated withdrawal of some of them to Catbolio colleges, is seeking "an infallible pronouncement by Pope Plus XII on the issues involved."

Daniel A. Cronin '50, president of the Harvard Catholic Club, pointed out last night that his organization has never been affiliated with St. Benedict Center.

Cronin and Monsigner Hicky of St. Paul's Church, Cambridge, explained the Center has "suffered some diversions from its original purpose" of being a meeting place for Harvard and Radcliffe students.

Magr. Rickey said the Center "hasn't in any sense, been a part of the Harvard community for some time."

Center Adds New Function

Three years ago, in addition to its functions as a meeting place for Catholic students, it became a regular school, with day classes on Holy Scriputre, philosophy, Church History, Greek, Latin, and other subjects.

Harvard "has not at any time made any protect to the Church" concerning Fr. Feeney's teachings. Dean Bonder asserted last night.

He pointed out "a number of Harvard students have been affected by Fr. Feeney's teaching and a very, very few have withdrawn from the College within the last two years." He added, however, that R is difficult to determine the precise included of Fr. Feeney on such withdrawals.