Food Price Drop Will Bring Back Yale's Table Help

Are you tired of carrying your own food from the serving trays to your table? Do you yearn for a pretty waitress to add zest to the chicken a lacking? Yale may be the place for you.

Miss Margaret Bowers, director of the Yale dining halls, announced recently that as soon as food prices drop sufficiently, she hopes that there will be a return to the prewar system of table service. When asked whether food quality will be improved when prices come down, she commented that Yale University buys "the best food there is."

Disputes over the relative costs of 14 and 21-meal tickets are not confined to Cambridge, her Statement reveals, nor are the long lines of students winding around the lobby unique here.

Yale students have also complained that the dining hall employees are rude to them. Miss Bowers, in replying to this charge, asserted that the rudeness is not all on one side and that Yale men have been known to swear at the help. All is not sweetness and light, it seems, at the colleges in New Haven.

If you hope to escape the coat-and-tie regulations by transferring to Yale, your victory may be short-lived. Miss Bowers reports that certain old grads who came back for visits were "shocked" by the appearance of the freshmen in dining halls. Restrictions on dress are being planned.