Golf Squad Loses To Amherst, 4-3; Meets MIT Today

Amherst which ruined the Crimson golf team's otherwise spotless record last year, did it again yesterday as it nipped the Harvard squad, 4 to 3, with the benefit of a couple of 1-up victories.

Harvard fielded the same team which lost to Dartmouth Saturday with the addition of Scott Lukins in the seventh position. The match was played on the Mount Holyoke College golf course in South Bradley, which only Captain Bill Rickenbacker of the Crimson had ever played before.

Rickenbacker Leads

Low scorers for Harvard were Rickenbacker, who turned in a 74, O'Keefe, who followed closely with 76, and Gorman with 79.

The golfers travel to Lynn today for a match against MIT at the Happy Valley Golf Club. The Engineers are reputed to have a strong team, and Rickenbacker plans to use approximately the same team that lost to Amherst. Monday the team will go to Providence for a match with Brown, and tilts with BU and Bowdoin are also scheduled for next week.

The Summaries:

Rickenbecker (H) defeated Mauen (A), 5 and 4; Diver (A) defeated Matson (H), 4 and 3; Wyman (A) defeated Denton (H), 1 up; O'Keefe (H) defeated Bowman (A), 4 and 3; Gorman (H) defeated Boluch (A), 4 and 3; Russell (A) defeated Seager (H), 3 and 2; Daniels (A) defeated Lukins (H), 1 up.