Music . . .

Twelve courses are offered the concentrator in Music, courses dealing with both the historical and theoretical aspects of music. They follow logically one from another, and, with the exception of Music 1, are designed primarily for students who have considerable ability and interest in the field and have mastered one musical instrument.

A new course entitled "The Materials of Music" has been announced by the department for next fall. This will give non-concentrators who have taken an appreciation course a chance to learn some of the fundamentals of theory.

Intimacy between instructors and students is the forte of this small but well-rounded department. Seven instructors, the quality to whose instruction is generally considered excellent, handle the department's dozen offerings, six of which are usually required for concentrators.

Avoids the Extremes

The Music Department does not attempt to build dilettantes and shakes no lonk hair, but holds closely to a technical approach. Many concentrators feel that this leaning backwards on the part of the department to escape a "Conservatory" approach has become a major weakness, for little opportunity for practical application of musical skill is given.

However, several extra-curricular activities, such as the Glee and Music Clubs, are tied up intimately with the department and receive the wholehearted support of faculty members. Activity in these organizations can compensate in part for the total lack of "practical music" courses, but except in the case of the Glee Club, only the real virtuoso can gain much benefit from these activities.

'52 Must Plan Ahead

Members of the Class of '52 will be forced to take a much more rigid program of concentration than has been, necessary in previous years, because certain required courses will be offered only in alternate years. This will seriously affect only those men who intend to take some of the highly advanced courses, which have many prerequisites.

General examinations were abandoned four years ago. A thesis is the only remaining hurdle for honors candidates, and this can by-passed with five A's and a B for Cum Laude. Non-honors candidates can slip through with only the requireds plus a course in basic piano.

Basic Piano, instituted three years ago, pushed tutorial out of the field except for senior honors candidates. It is required for all men unless they can demonstrate sufficient keyboard technique at the start to satisfy Assistant Professor Fine, who is in charge of the program.