Radcliffe Will Hold Two-day Forum on Art

'Artist's Position in Society' Starts Weekend Discussions On Three Problems in Field

Friday night's session on "The Artist's Position in Contemporary Society" will open Radcliffe's two-day collegiate arts conference.

Miss Mary Boyle Curran, Wellesley College instructor and author of "Parish on the Hill," will moderate the first meeting in New Lecture Hall at 8:30 p.m. Friday. This discussion will be open to the public.

Experts on the panel discussion that evening will include John Ciardi, Briggs Copeland associate professor of English, speaking for contemporary poets; Boris Goldovsky, president of the New England Opera Association, who will argue for twentieth-century musicians; and Harley Perkins, president of the Independent Artists, representing all artists.

Denis Johnston, former director of the Abbey Theater in Dublin and currently director of drama at the British Broadcasting Corporation will round out the panel as representative of stage and radio dramatists.

He is on leave from the BBC for a year and is in this country as director of the Theatre Guild of the Air.

Three-Fold Discussion

Discussion will cover three problems:

1.) artists' problems today vs. artists' difficulties in the past; 2.) problems of communication; and 3.) problems of government assistance.

Approximately 200 delegates from local colleges will move to Radcliffe Yard for Saturday morning's meetings in Aggassiz House and Longfellow Hall.

Simultaneous panels on drama and music are scheduled for Saturday morning. Elinor Hughes, drama critic of the Boston Herald, is slated to conduct the first; Boris Goldovsky and Lucas Foss, composer and pianist for the Boston Symphony Orchestra, will share honors at the head of the music panel.

Poetry Reading

Saturday's sessions will be split at noon by lunch for all delegates at Radcliffe and a reading in the Agassiz House theatre by Richard Wilbur, of his own poems. Wilbur is a Junior Fellow at Harvard and the author of "The Beautiful Changes," a volume of his collected verse.

The panel discussions will wind up the conference Saturday afternoon.

Wilbur and Ben Ames Williams, author of "House Divided" and "Leave Her to Heaven," will lead a debate on literature. At the same time; Harley Perkins, the Boston artist, and Ernest Morenson. French sculptor, will discuss art.

Attendance Limited

Saturday's meeting and reading will be restricted to delegates and interested Harvard and Radcliffe students who want to act as unofficial delegates.

Mary Lyon '50 heads the all-Radcliffe committee which is sponsoring the conference.

Tea for Delegates

Saturday's afternoon Radcliffe Student Government officers will give a tea to all official delegates and guests in the Agassiz House living room.

Committee heads for the conference include Elizabeth Mulholland '51, Marian Morris '52, and Alice Blum '52.

Guiding arrangements for the panel discussions are Patricia Troxell '49, Paige Mooney '50, Diana Stallings '57, and Lorua Carey '52.