Varsity Tops Lord Jeffs in Tennis Match at Amherst

A depleted varsity tennis team, playing without its numbers one and three men, journeyed to Amherst yesterday and scored its seventh win in ten collegiate games by the margin of 6 to 3.

The Lord Jeffs gave the Crimson quite a battle, in spite of the score, gaining a split in the six singles matches and forcing two marathon 14-12 sets.

By far the outstanding match of the day was the number three battle between Harvard's Jack Frey and Amherst's Tom Crawford. After an even break in the first two sets, both men played so steadily in the third set that almost all the other players had finished by the time Frey finally won, 14-12.

The other 14-12 set was won by Dave Gordon in the opening round of the number six match. But rival Tim Martin won the next two sets easily and captured the match.

Other Crimson singles winners, besides Frey, were Jay Robb, Robb and Paul Tobias, in number four and five. Captain Ted Bullard and Hilliard Hughes bowed in number one and two.

Doubles Sweep

Although Harvard had trouble in the singles, the three doubles teams--two makeshift pairs and the number four pair--defeated their Amherst opponents in straight sets.

Cory Wynn's freshman team also had a match scheduled for yesterday with Amherst, but Wynn received word over the weekend that Amherst would be unable to fulfill the engagement. The match probably will not be replayed.

Recommended Articles

Two Students Receive $30K Scholarships from Microsoft
The Microsoft Corporation awarded Bridgett J. Frey '99 and Rebecca C. Weiss '99 the Microsoft Women's Technical Scholarship yesterday. Contest
Eight Days A Week: Students Do It All
They are seen only occasionally, usually hurrying across the Yard and almost always running to reach their next activity. Or
Frey Wins Fay Prize At Annual RCAA Tea
At what could be Radcliffe College's last Strawberry Tea, Ariel S. Frey '99 was awarded the Captain Jonathan Fay Prize,
Teach for America Brings Harvard Graduates to Underprivileged Communities
Across the Yard from recruiting meetings at the Faculty Club, Teach for America (TFA), an AmeriCorps program, is showing some
Jordan Says Team In Excellent Shape
The varsity football team will be in good shape physically for the Brown game Saturday, barring injuries later in the
Kirkland Defeats Eliot With Last-Minute T.D.
Led by the outstanding play of Arty (the Tiger) Fox, Raymond Waitkins, Bob Selig, and Lee Raitz, Kirkland's football team