Faculty Votes In Credit for Foreign Study

Dean's List Juniors Majoring In European Languages Will Get Credit Starting in Fall

Juniors concentrating in modern foreign languages will be eligible for credit for one year of European study starting next Fall, the Faculty ruled yesterday.

In a unanimous vote, the Faculty accepted the foreign study plan for an experimental period of three years, but specified that students must be in Group III or better and must study "under the auspices of a regularly organized study group. . ."

The ruling applies to concentrators is Romance Languages and Literatures and Germanic Languages and Literatures, and to concentrators in Comparative Philology who specialize in Romance or Germanic Languages.

20 Students Will Go

Amount of credit will be determined by the Administrative Board, but no man will receive more than four full courses worth of credit.

Although exact figures were not available last night, it was estimated that approximately 20 Harvard and Radcliffe students will meet the Faculty's qualifications for the plan next year.

However, each department will set its own additional standards. Francis M. Rogers, associate professor of Romance Languages, stated last night that his department will require Juniors to have taken French Db (or French Cb and E) and French 20 before embarking for Europe. Special distribution requirements will also be imposed, and there will be other prerequisites for honors candidates.

Will Join Sweetbriar Group

In addition to departmental rulings, the cost of European study may prevent additional students from taking part.

"I doubt if at any one time there will be more than there or four Romance Languages students from Harvard and Radcliffe studying abroad," Rogers commented.

Romance Language students will study with the Sweetbriar group in Paris, which requires two years of high school and two years of college language training for entrance.

Germanic Languages students will probably work under the American Council on Study in Switzerland.