150's Take on Elis, Tigers; Lacrosse Team Opposes Indians

Game to Be Gala Affair as Munro Seeks to Edge Rival, Team to Break Loss String

By John R. W. smail

They'll have everything but the hot dogs and popcorn down on the Business School field today, when the lacrosse team meets Dartmouth at 3 p.m.

The squad will wear bright new sweaters of hoary fleece. A public address system will explain the nuances of the contest. And a corps of girls will distribute programs to the multitude.

A number of new stands have even been set up on the field to accommodate the expected overflow crowd. Manager Porky Barg is conducting a last-minute drive to secure a band for the occasion.

The cause of all this excitement is probably the biggest lacrosse game of the year. The Green, always a traditional rival, has been building up the occasion by walloping Harvard several years in a row. That alone would red-letter the game.

The Munros and The Dents

But, as if this weren't enough, Coach Bruce Munro has a feud on with the Dartmouth coach, Tom Dent. Both are also soccer coaches and began a rivalry last fall when Munro's Crimson soccer team swatted Dent's Green soccer team.

At that time Dent allegedly shock his fist at Munro, and vowed, or swore, revenge come spring and lacrosse.

Dent has a good chance to make good on his threat. His lacrosse squad is probably the best in New England. Captain Jim Scully in midfield, for instance, is really a man to be watched.

But Dartmouth is not a one-man team by any means. Scouting and relative scores indicate that there is no single weakspot on the team. So it will be difficult or impossible to arrange a defense to stop Scully.

On the other side of the fence Munro has been having patching troubles with his team. Hans Estin, who is the cog on whom the whole attack depends, has a twisted ankle which is only just runnable.

Estin Crucial

Everything hangs on Estin because he is the best feeder on the attack which has two good creasemen, Dick Bezanson and Rick Hudner. Without Estin behind the cage to toss his quick, accurate passes, Bezanson and Hudner lose a great deal of their effectiveness. Lew Soule, the fourth member of the very fine attack, is taking a Law School exam at game time.

The first midfield is back in shape, however, with Paul Davidson's ankle knit again.