Morning Prowler Flees 3 Students In Bow St. Raid

Three students this morning cornered a burly prowler under an attic bed on 9 Bow Street, stripped him of his glasses and his top coat, bent a poker over his skull, and then lot the intruder slip from their grasp and escape.

The prowler, who has visited 9 Bow Street twice before in the last year, was detected at 12:45 a.m. by Mrs. Mildred Heyneman (above), wife of Donald Heyneman '46 (above, left), as the intruder slipped into a vacant third-story storeroom. The room was once occupied by Elliot Roosevelt.

Mrs. Heyneman woke her husband and sent him to the room. Heyneman took a look, saw the prowler's posterior protruding from under the bed, and called two other students, Paul Zall 1G (above, center) and William Seyferth '50 (right) from their rooms.

"We have a visitor." Heyneman announced.

The three men leaped on the prowler, while Heyneman applied the poker. Coat and glasses were confiscated, but the prowler, described as being 5 feet, 10 inches and "at least 200 pounds" was too much for his captors.

He broke loose and headed for the stairway. One of the men tripped him as he started down, but the intruder reached the bottom, wrecking the bannister on the way.

Heyneman followed him to Massachusetts Avenue and, falling behind, commandeered a passing Cadillac to pursue the stranger. Heyneman and the Caddy streaked after the prowler, who escaped into the night just before reaching Harvard Street.

Meanwhile, the students' wives had called police, who searched the neighborhood for the midnight visitor, but could not find him.

Residents of the house said the prowler entered by a first-story window. He escaped from two earlier intrusions without any difficulty