College Keeps Lamont Open For Use by Summer School

Students Get Full Classroom, Reading Facilities; Expense Expected to Run to $10,000

Lamont Library will keep its doors opens this summer to furnish air-conditioned study facilities and classrooms for the Summer School's expected 2000 students, Director George W. Adams announced yesterday.

The decision to keep open Lamont, despite the $10,000 extra cost involved, was made earlier this week by University officials after the Student Council had earlier reported that the high cost would probably force a summer shutdown. The report was made through the Council's Library Committee.

Use of Classrooms

Not only will all reading rooms stay open, Adams announced, but one-fourth of the School's 180 courses will be taught in the new library thanks to an intensive scheduling of classes in the air-conditioned building.

The special arrangement made to open Lamont for Summer School students will mean that women will be admitted for the first time. In addition to the Lamont facilities, Summer students will also have access to Widener, Adams said.

Adams offered no direct reason for the University's move to keep Lamont open other than its "popularity with undergraduates" since the January opening and a "general demand for use of Lamont for the Summer School." No special student fee will be assessed; the $10,000 cost will simply be added to the School's budget.

Library officials were planning the transfer of over 15000 course books from Lamont to Widener when the decision was announced.