'Cliffe-Harvard Going Steady After 70 Years

By Burton S. Glinn

They are sort of engaged--but not to be married. That means that there is joint instruction but not coeducation.

Where 70 years ago Radcliffe women were lectured to by Harvard Professors in Radcliffe's Founders House, they now attend Harvard lectures in Harvard classrooms. The picture at the top of the page is of a class in Psychology 7; there is more than a smattering of women.

With joint instruction the Harvard man is able to study with 'Cliffedwellers (upper right); he can catch between class smokes with them (middle right); and probably is a more frequent visitor in the Briggs Hall doorway (bottom right).

As the Harvard and Radcliffe communities began more and more to overlap extracurricular activities were forced to take cognizance of the courtship. Two years ago the CRIMSON appointed its first Radcliffe Correspondent, Joan McPartlin '49, shown at left with Crime president John G. Simon '50.

But even academic engagements have their drawbacks too. The ratio of the male to the female is almost exactly represented by the photograph in the lower, left of the page. This picture was taken at a Radcliffe dance aptly entitled "Jolly Up."

And Harvard's spang new Lamont Library is off limits to Radcliffe. Most girls are like the one in the picture directly below, on the outside looking in on the air conditioned wonders of the new library.