Final Academic Awards Given by Dean's Office

As the College rushed toward the close of academic year 1945-1949, the Dean's Office yesterday announced its last batch of prizes for the current session.

Robert Lynn Fisehalis '49 of Germantown, Pa, won the Radicott Peabody Saltonstall Prize. This award is made annually to "that senior in Harvard College proposing to enter the Harvard Law School who shall be considered to be the best fitted, by intellect, character, and physique, to be influenced by Saltonstall's example and in turn to influence others."

Fischelis, who is being graduated cum laude this year, was president of the Student Council and a member of the varsity squash team.

The Lionel de Jersey Harvard Studentship, which provides for a year's study at Cambridge University, England, has been won by David E. McGiffert '49 of Chicago, III. McGiffert has concentrated in history at Harvard, and was a member of the Varsity basketball squad and Chairman of the Eliot House Committee.

Frederick Sheldon Prize Fellowships, which provide for travel rather than for formal study, have been won by John M. Team '50 of Springfield, Mo., David G. Hughes '47 of Westport, Conn., and in manuel H. Kohn '43 of Northampton. Hughes a muise concentrator is a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Team, a physics concentrator, also made Phi Beta Kappa, and is on the Eliot House Committee Kohn is a graduate of Deefield Academy, is concentrating in government at Harvard, and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He served with the Merchan Marine in World War II.

Recipient of the Henry Russell Shaw Fellowship is Daniel B. Ray '49 of Brooklyn, N. Y. Second Marshal of his class, Ray graduated in February from Harvard College with highest honors in mathematics. While an undergraduate he was captain of the Varsity wrestling team, and a member of the Band and Glee Club. This Fellowship provides for European travel.

David F. Wheeler '47 of Cambridge, has won the Augustus Clifford Tower Fellowship for study in a French University. Wheeler was a member of the Eliot House football team and concentrated in the study of English literature.

Gerard J. Mangone 2G of Middletown, Conn., has won a Sumner Prize for an essay entitled "The Idea and Practice of World Government."

Inis L. Claude, Jr. 2G of Conway, Arkansas, has won a Chase Prize for an essay entitled "The International Treatment of the Problem of National Minorities 1919-1946."

Philip Koch '49 of Brooklyn, N. Y., has won the Medal of the Comite France Amerique for a declamation in French.

Two Dante prizes have also been announced. Raymond Joel Dorius 6G of Los Angeles won $50 for an essay entitled "The English Reader and Dante's 'Visibile Parlare,'" while Howard Hugh Schless '46 of Philadelphia was awarded a like amount for an essay of 'Melville and Dante: A Structural Comparison."

Unawarded this year were the Francis Boott Prize, the Circolo Italiano Prize, the John A. Walz, Jr. Prize, the Carl Schurz Prize, and the Susan Anthony Potter Prize in Spanish Literature.