No Action Taken on Council Vote for Co-ed Law School

For 74 years, the Law School has considered going co-ed.

No official action has yet been taken, Dean Griswold said yesterday, upon a recommendation by the council of the Law School Association that women be admitted to the School. The council voted eight to five for co-education at a meeting on April 29.

The issue of a coeducational Law School was first raised in 1875, Griswold explained, and since then the Law Faculty has voted three times in favor of women at Law School. The last of these votes was taken just before the war.

Griswold Is Silent

Griswold refused to comment yesterday on any action that may be taken because of the council's vote. That group also recommended that an advisory poll of the alumni be taken to determine graduate opinion on the matter.

At its meeting in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Boston, the Association elected a completely new set of officers--the first major change in administration since 1937.

The new president is John G. Buchanan, LL.B. '12, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He succeeds Robert P. Patterson, LL.B. '15 in the post.

Other New Officers

Other newly-elected officers are: first vice-president, Calvert Magruder, LL.B. '16 of Cambridge, Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit; second vice-president, Monte L. Lemann '03, LL.B. '06 of New Orleans, Louisiana; secretary, C. Tracy Barnes LL.B. '37, of Providence, Rhode Island; treasurer, Paul F. Hellmuth LL.B. '43 of Boston; and assistant treasurer and secretary, Harrison S. Dimmitt, LL.B. '25 of Cambridge.

New members of the executive council are: Robert M. Segal LL.B. '42 of Boston; Adrian S. Fisher LL.B. '37 of Washington, D.C., and James C. Sheppard LL.B. '24 of Los Angeles.

Other retiring officers besides Patterson are: Frank W. Grinnell '95, LL.B. '98, secretary since 1920; and Reginald Heber Smith '10, LL.B. '14, treasurer since 1919. In recognition of his service, Smith was presented with a framed minute, adopted by the Law School Faculty and signed by President Conant and Dean Griswold.