NCAA Meeting Not Expected To Affect Harvard Athletics

No change in University policy on athletics as a result of Saturday's National Collegiate Athletic Association meeting in New York was foreseen last night by W. Henry Johnston, director of public relations for the Harvard Athletic Association.

Johnston sat in on the meeting where seven schools were charged with violating the NCAA "sanity code" but were not expelled because the necessary two-thirds vote could not be obtained.

Despite the success of the seven schools in flaunting NCAA rules governing athletic scholarships and aid to athletes, Johnston pointed out that "the University's policy with regard to scholarships for athletes has always been more stringent than the NCAA's."

As for the suggestion that universities affiliated with the NCAA voluntarily cut off athletic relations with the seven violators, Johnston said it was his opinion that no such action will be considered "until the NCAA clarifies its stand on the matter."

Violators on Crimson State

Among the seven violators whose ouster was asked Saturday were Boston College, Virginia, and Virginia Military Institute, who have appeared on Harvard basketball, hockey, and baseball schedules in recent years. The others were The Citadel, Virginia Tech, Villanova, and Maryland.

How Athletic Director William J. Bingham '16 voted on the question of ousting the violators is not known, since he left Saturday afternoon for a rules committee meeting in Pinehurst, N.C. and could not be reached last night. It is believed, however, that he favored the ouster.

Newly elected President of the NCAA, Professor Hugh C. Willett of Southern California, said in New York last night that the issue was by no means closed, although he admitted he did not know at present just what his group would do.