Missing Freshman Turns Up, Will Leave College, Go Home

Engene Desseau '53, who had been missing from his Hollis Hall room since last Sunday was found walking near Putnam Square, Cambridge, at 4 a.m. Wednesday morning.

At his room last night Desseau said that he was leaving for home this morning.

Desseau, who walked out of Stillman Infirmary Sunday morning, was spotted by a Cambridge policeman who recognized him from a telegraphed description. He was taken back to the University police station. He had been in Cambridge the entire time of his disappearance, he he told the police.

Dean of Freshman Delmer Leighton said that the 18-year-old Tacoma, Washington boy had been worried over studies and finances for some time. He had decided to leave college, but had not decided how to tell his parents. Leighton added that Desseau's November marks had been "good," but did not say if he was in danger of losing his scholarship.

Dessean, described by his friends as a "nice guy, but very quiet," had been staying away from his room until early in the morning since October. He had been unwilling to study or attend classes since the Christmas vacation.

Last Friday he entered Stillman Infirmary to get some rest. On Sunday morning, telling the authorities that he wanted to do some studying, he left.

Desseau was next seen Tuesday morning in the Union Common Room. A freshman reported seeing the missing student asleep on a sofa. A toilet kit which he had taken when he left Stillman on Sunday was beside him. Wednesday he was found.

Friends said that Desseau, whose interests in the Freshman Register are listed as football, swimming, skiing, and poker, was usually taciturn. However, when he did talk, it was often of Tacoma and his high school.