Conant's Role As Professor Ends in 1950

First Teaching President Since 1918 Turns Over Nat. Sci. 4 Course to New Men in Fall

President Conant will not teach Natural Sciences 4 next year.

David Owen, chairman of the General Education Committee, announced yesterday that the course will be given next year by Leonard K. Nash '39, assistant professor of Chemistry, and Thomas S. Kuhn '44 of the Society of Fellows.

Natural Sciences 4, a pioneer course in teaching science to laymen, will be called "Research Patterns in Physical Science." Under the President, the course was "The Growth of the Experimental Sciences."

Owen said, however, that the course will be "basically the same."

Began Lectures in 1946

President Conant, first Harvard president to teach a regular course since A. Lawrence Lowell '77 lectured in Government 1 in 1917-1918, has been giving Natural Sciences 4 since inception of the GE program in 1946.

The President did not intend to teach the course on a permanent basis when he began it, Owen explained. He intended to relinquish the lecture platform when the course "got on its feet," Owen said.

"It is felt the experiment has justified itself," he added.

The fact that the President instructed an introductory course of this kind "has had a good deal to do with adding prestige to the whole General Education movement in the sciences," Owen commented.