Freshman Talent May Perform at March 3 Smoker

Jane Russell, Milton Berle and Jimmy Durante have refused to appear at this year's Freshman Smoker, but Committee Chairman Michael Yamin '53 says other professional entertainers will be contacted in an effort to provide amusement at the annual frolic.

Student entertainers will be welcomed at the March 3 Smoker, with try-outs in February for those interested in performing. Freshmen in particular are encouraged to try out, since 1953's Smoker is planned as more of a social gathering than in previous years.

Price Upped

The Smoker will be held in Memorial Hall and Sanders Theater, but '53 will pay 60 cents a ticket, "slightly more" than in previous years. Rising costs have boosted the price of the ticket to 50 cents, and the entertainment tax ups the price another dime.

Plans for the Smoker also include a raffle, "either for a doorprize or one of the female entertainers," said Yamin. More beer outlets will be provided in Memorial Hall to prevent the crowding of the past, and as usual soft drinks will be served for the abstainers.