Council Urges 'Cumulative Credits'; 'Crusade' Scrolls to Circulate Here

By Winthrop Knowlton

After nearly three hours of debate, the Student Council last night passed resolutions urging the Faculty of Arts and Sciences to enact compulsory mid-term grades and the "cumulative credit" system to meet any possible war emergency.

The Administrative Board will also recommend a return to wartime mid-term grades when the Faculty convenes on October 17, but it apparently does not feel that the "cumulative credit" system is necessary at this time.

If the Faculty does not approve the latter proposal next week, the Council plan urges that "if cumulative credits are eventually reinstituted they should become retroactive to this fall."

Send Transcripts

Under this proposal, students who are drafted this year would receive credit for incompleted half-courses on the basis of their mid-term grades, if, of course, mid-term grades return.

The Council also passed a motion suggesting that the registrar send transcripts of students' grades as well as their class ranking to draft boards. The group feels this proposal would help defer a student who might have good grades and still not be in the top half of his class.

A fourth plan, passed unanimously, stated that the College should give credits to servicemen who undergo training courses which parallel R.O.T.C. programs here. Officer Candidate School and the Armed Service Training Program would fall in this category.

If there is a return to compulsory mid-term grades, the Council resolution urges that semester grades, and not the new marks, are the ones that the registrar would continue to send to draft boards.